The Calvary Bible Fellowship of N.Z.has given permission for an Australian Diploma Courseto be constructed along the needs of our Despatch subscribers.
for you to ponder!
BOOK OF HEBREWS
~ INTRODUCTION ~ QUESTIONS:
1. Why is the Book of Hebrews called the “fifth gospel”?
2. Who wrote the Book Of Hebrews?
Explain why the author could have been the Apostle Paul.
3. Who was it written for?
Explain why it was written.
4. Explain in depth why there is no Jewish Temple,
with its sacrifices,
required by God in the New Testament dispensation.
5. There are six key words in the Book of Hebrews. Can you list them?
6. Finish this statement, found in your notes.
“Only Jesus could speak out the full message of God…”
A clue, look for “LET US LOOK AT THIS SUPERIOR PERSON….
7. What are the “Better Nots” found in Hebrews,
and listed in your notes?
Write them out in full, with Bible references.
8. How many times is the word “priest” or “high priest” used in the Book of Hebrews?
9. The notes ask why Christian believers sometimes
embrace such Jewish groups as
“Hebrew Roots” or “Messianic Jew.” What is the answer given?
10. Read carefully Hebrews 4:15, 16 and write down
what it is about, basically.
No need for a large discourse, just a simple explanation.
~ CHAPTER .. I .. ~
1. What is the remedy for the perversion of GRACE called "legalism?"
2. Why are angels called "sons of God?"
3. FINISH THIS: "He is not simply the only revealer of God....................."
4. In Hebrews 1:2-4 there are eight successive statements about Christ. Can you write down three of these?
5. Christ is superior to the O.T. prophets and the angels because He is GOD. But your notes tell us that He is superior because of another reason. Can you write this reason down?
6. The New Testament is also the New Covenant. It is stupendous beyond imagination, your notes say. What is the stupendous reality of what the New Covenant is? A clue, the answer has to do with a WILL. Give your answer in your own words.
7.Under the heading "The Promise to David" a thrilling promise about the coming Christ Jesus, the Messiah, is given. Can you sum up what this promise is? In your own words.
8. How many O.T. quotations are there in Hebrews 1:5-14?
9.Finish this quotation: "Grace is more than love; it is love set absolutely free........"
10. There are three statements about Grace listed in the appendix. The
first is "God saves sinners by Grace." What are the other two.
~ CHAPTER .. 2.. ~
1. What Psalm quoted in Hebrews chapter two foreshadows the Cross of Jesus Christ?
2. What verse in chapter two deals with the subject of the fear of death?
Give the Revelation verse that is tied in with this in your notes.
3. There is another word that means the same in Greek as “Captain” does in Hebrews 2. What is that word and where is it found?
4. Explain what “sinking back into worldliness” could mean in your own life.
5. There are six points given in your notes on chapter two about the whole book of Hebrews, what are they?
6. Why are the prosperity preachers wrong, according to your notes. Explain in your own words.
7. Which chapter is called the Hall of Faith in Hebrews?
8. There are two fantastic phrases in Hebrews 2:8,9. What are they?
9. Why did Jesus find it necessary to take upon Himself the Body of flesh? Look at your notes, don’t give your own thoughts.
10. Is it possible to escape God’s wrath if we “neglect” salvation in
Christ Jesus? Explain your answer in your own words.
QUESTIONS FOR “HIGHLIGHTS
IN THE BOOK OF MOSES.”
1. What is another term for “New Covenant”?
2. God’s purposes for this world are all
3. centered in ………….?
4. God’s purposes are IRRESISTABLE,
IRREVERSIBLE and DET……..............also already FUL………
5. List SIX of the things we inherit under the will of the Testator. Who is this Testator?
6. In your own words give an outline into WHY the First Covenant failed.
7. Read the Bible verses Hebrews 7:11-19; 8:1-13; 10:5-9 and write in your own words why the New Covenant is better than the Old Covenant. Also Hebrews 8:6 gives better promises about what?
HEBREWS CHAPTER THREE & FOUR.
1. Read Hebrews 3:1-7 about the NEW COVENANT and explain about the Builder
of the house.
Who is the Builder, what is the house He built?
2. Christ is presented in Hebrews chapters 3, 4 and 5 as “BETTER” than three O.T. men. Who are they?
3. What does the Greek word “parakaleo” mean?
4. What is the Canaan rest all about? In your own words.
5. Explain “THE PROMISED LAND OF REST.”
6. Explain “COVETOUSNESS” according to your notes. There are FOUR points given, list them and explain about REST from covetousness and God’s will, trusting God and keeping our balance!
7. List some of the things shown about the QUICK AND POWERFUL WORD OF
The Word of God has an EDGE, and what else, according to Hebrews 4:9-11 and your notes?
8. Read Hebrews 4:14 –16 and explain what this shows about the ONE Who loves you most, exposing your own motives and actions, and bringing criticism and judgement into your life by the Sword of the Word. Use the verses themselves and expound the Scriptures on a personal level! (No personal “secrets” just a general outline of how these verses enlighten yourself).
PORTIONS OF HEBREWS CHAPTERS 5 & 7.
1. Who is the MAJOR FIGURE ( a Person) in the book of Hebrews?
2. There are FOUR points given about God’s revelation. The book of Hebrews is compared with the words of WHO and
where are these words found? Book and chapter only.
3. What does the priesthood of Melchisedec show about Christ Jesus in regard to His own priesthood – in regard to being a Gentile priest or a Jewish one? Is Christ Jesus’ priesthood based on Judaism?
4. Where in Hebrews would you find the verse which tells about the tribe
of “Juda”, from which Christ came? Who was the O.T. patriarch who spoke
nothing about priests coming from the tribe of Judah?
The O.T. priest came from Levi, making them the ………. Priesthood. Fill in missing word.
5. What is a “Christophany”?
6. Was Melchisedec a “Christophany”? Explain your answer.
7. What does Abram giving tithes to Melchisedec show us about Abraham and Christ Jesus?
8. Why does Christ Jesus NEED NO JUDAIC PRIESTS OR ORDER? There are FOUR points on this to explain, briefly.
9. What is the “BERIT” in Hebrew or the “DIATHEKE” in Greek?
10. Can you explain the difference between a “Theophany” and a “Christophany”?
CHURCH MYSTERY AND THE BOOK OF HEBREWS.
1. Why is Salvation INSTANTANEOUS, COMPLETE and FINAL? Consult your notes, and write in your own words WHY the above is so. Do this to be completely sure that you are trusting in Christ alone for salvation, and to be sure you know how safe you are in Him forever.
2. What is the “secret of a victorious and holy life”? Our Father God wants us to REST from what? (According to your notes).
3. What is the “human side of victory over sin”? List from a) to d).
4. There are FOUR mysteries in the New Testament. Can you name them?
5. Hebrews 1:9-11 is about what MYSTERY? What was “a secret truth hidden in the counsels of God, and never revealed until New Testament times”? Finish this: “Israel never was a mystery, but was the …. “
6. ISRAEL was told by God to keep separate from the nations. But the Church is a people called OUT OF the nations, and we are called to do WHAT about the nations? Give a Bible reference.
7. This is an important question. Take time and go over your notes on the subject, then write in your own words WHY the New Testament Church could not exist before Christ died.
8. There are TWO EXTREMES about the Church and Israel. “The Church has not replaced Israel” is your clue. Write down the two extremes.
9. Explain about the Christian Church NOT being composed of those “born
into a nation.” Hebrews 12:2.
Israelites become such by PHYSICAL BIRTH, by HUMAN GENERATION. How do the Christian Church members become members of Christ’s Body?
10. What are the CURSES that have come upon Israel because of they disobedience and rejection of the Messiah, Christ Jesus? What chapter in the Old Testament sets forth the blessing and curse of God to Israel?
1. What is it “not possible” for the blood of bulls and goats to do?
2. The O.T. sacrifices could only .… sin…….. Fill in three missing words.
They could not ……….Fill in three missing words.
3. What Bible passage would you go to for understanding of the purpose of the Law under Judaism? Choose a passage (in your study notes) not found in the Book of Hebrews.
4. There are three things that God’s own LAMB has accomplished that O.T. sacrifices could never do. What are they?
5. Can you lose your salvation if you do not attend a “recognized” church?
Explain why this seems to be the opinion of some church leaders – looking at Hebrews 10:26-31.
6. Who will have “trodden under foot the Son of God” if they “hath counted
the blood of the covenant an unholy thing”? Who will have “done despite
[insult] unto the Spirit of Grace” It is not the saved person in Christ
Jesus who can lose their salvation, then who does this verse refer to?
See verse 29? And compare chapter six verse 4.
7. The Hebrews or Jews had to choose – to go on and accept Christ Jesus as Saviour and Lord, or do what?
8. Was there really a choice? Could the Jews have found salvation by going back into Judaism? Explain your answer. Give some Bible verses to prove your point.
9. Wonderful promises from the Lamb Himself make us realize that we, the redeemed ones who are born again, can never be the subject of the fearful verses 26-31. What are these promises? Write them out. Be sure of where you stand in Christ Jesus, because of HIM alone.
10. Answer this from your notes and because of personal conviction:
Because we are saved and safe forever, does this mean we have no responsibility towards other believers?
Can we just treat them like other people?
1. Write in your own words what Hebrews 11:1 is really all about.
2. Why is HYPER-FAITH wrong, and how do the teachers of this faith doctrine use Hebrews 11:1 as a key verse? What do they make the verse say?
3. Hebrews 11 is the “Heroes and Heroines of Faith” chapter. What is
the WHOLE chapter about?
A CLUE: about a journey, and people who are on a journey.
4. Who are the elders who obtained a good report? Who gave them a good report?
5. What men did God “surname” Himself after, using their names? There are three of them. Give a Bible reference from the Old Testament.
6. What is God looking for in us, predominately?
7. In your own words explain what Hebrews 10:38 is about, and explain how it leads into Hebrews chapter 11.
8. What are the “DISTANT promises” mentioned in your notes?
9. Fill in the missing words, “It has been said that Abraham obeyed God when he did not know … and he did not know…and he did not know….
10. What is the CONSUMMATION of the faith pilgrimage on earth shown in Hebrews 11? WHERE will it be and WHO will be there?
11. What do your notes say about “FAITH DESCRIBED”?
GOD’S LOVE – GOD’S TESTING OF US.
1. What is the “first mention” in the Bible of the word “love” or “lovest”?
2. Why does this “first mention” complement the “first mention” of the word “love” in three of the Gospel Books in the New Testament”? What is the first mention in the Gospel of John that is significant here? What has all this to do with God’s sacrifice of His own Son? Read carefully the notes in the Appendix to Hebrews chapter eleven lesson.
3. Genesis 22:8 is commented on in your notes, with a quote from
Gail Riplinger. Do you grasp the important difference between the King
James Bible and the New King James Bible quotes?
Explain it now, in your own words. Why is the NKJ translation called “one of the saddest renderings” by Gail?
4. Can you share a “testing” that the Lord has led you through, from your own experience? Did you trust Him in and through it, or do you now realize the test was from the Lord, but did not have faith at the time of trial? What have you learnt from this experience?
5. Can we please God if we do not trust Him when we are IN our testing times, considering Hebrews 11:6?
6. “For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now
I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.
And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity [love].”
(1Corinthians 13: 12,13).
God knows we are weak and failing human beings, and although we let Him down and do not trust Him sometimes, His love for us is greater than our failure to rest in Him, by faith. Our love for others and for God is greater than faith. Can you see something in the testing that you shared above that demonstrated LOVE being greater than faith, and that held you firm even if you failed the test in part? If so, share this also.
(I can share with you here to give you, perhaps, insight into your own
Whilst I was going through a time when I had problems with my elderly parents, I did not seem to trust God and please Him with my faith that “all things” could or would work together for good. But, I loved my parents through very difficult times, never rejecting them or giving up hope for their salvation. I knew that God loved me, and so, even though I was in despair in the trial, somehow love held me up. Love WAS greater than faith in the end. For Satan caused me to lose faith, but he did not cause me to lose LOVE. Either MY love for my parents, nor GOD’S love for me!)
1. Who are the “witnesses” of 12:1?
2. Explain what the nephos is.
3. Is sin the only thing that will weigh us down in the Christian “race”?
If not, explain what the weights might be.
4. What does “beset” mean?
5. Explain what the word “agony” has to do with the race that is set before us.
6. Willmington had three “Ds” to describe what looking unto Jesus means, not looking to ourselves or others. What are those three “Ds”?
7. Why can Jesus be the Finisher of our faith when other world religious leaders cannot be finishers?
8. Explain in your own words how chapter twelve shows us the PURPOSE of suffering.
9. Explain how the C.S. Lewis quote expresses God’s education and discipline through suffering and trials. Give it thought, and express your own inner most understanding.
10. What are the three ways we can react to discipline from God? From your study notes.
11. What are the RESULTS of discipline well-received by believers who are submissive and pliable under God’s Hand? From your study notes.
12. Compare Mount Sinai and Mount Zion. What are they, what does each of them show, where are they? What covenants do they represent?
1. Give a personal evaluation of what point 8 of the Performance of
Faith means to you. What have you discovered about this, what can you offer
up to God as a “sacrifice” of praise right now?
2. How does 1 Timothy 6:5-11 compare with Hebrews 13 - point 5 of Performance of Faith? Give an explanation.
3. Hebrews 1:1,2 are not about a metaphysical manipulation of forces or energies. How does the Performance of Faith show how practical and down-to-earth faith is? Give a few practical applications, like showing hospitality and marriage being honorable. How spiritual are these instructions, or are they just every day and not spiritual at all?
4. We may not have great pastors and teachers we can look up to and obey, as these are days of apostasy, who then is the Teacher we can obey and honour right now?
5. What are the words of the Apostolic Benediction?
6. We have a number of sacrifices to offer up the Bible tells us. We have two sacrifices specifically mentioned in your study notes, what are these sacrifices? Give the Bible verses referenced, and make comments on these verses.
GOD BLESS YOU!
Back Hebrews Images
Endtime Ministries...Christian Resource Centre
Editor of Despatch W. B. Howard